Iron 160 - Aluminum Base - Mechanical Keyboard [Preorder]
IRON160 by SMITH+RUNE
The SMITH+RUNE team has taken the IRON165r2 and chopped off a row of keys! Well they did a bit more than that, making small changes and tweaks along the way to further improve the IRON design, but it sounds a lot more fun describing it that way.
Dont forget to grab extra Addons & Accessories here!
Quality Disclaimer - Stainless Steel Parts may contain micro-scratches or micro-holes which are only viewable under certain, harsh light conditions and are often times difficult to photograph. If you choose to purchase a stainless steel weight/badge kit, you are accepting this risk.
- Choice of WK, WKL, or MX HHKB top
- 7 Degree Typing Angle
- Full Gasket Isolation Mount
- Bottom Accent Plate w/exposed rune logo
- Low-Profile Front Height (less than 17.25mm)
- Seamless Case Design
- QMK/VIA compatible PCB, designed in collaboration with Gondolindrim, choice of hotswap or solderable
- Unified C3 USB-C daughterboard (centered on case)
- Optimized plate for consistency on every key press (see analysis below)
Each board comes with a black anodized aluminum base and contrasting aluminum accent "weight". Please refer to the prototype photos and renders for a visual depiction.
There will be three plate layout options, semi-fixed. All plates support split backspace and stepped caps. ISO plates may not be available from all vendors.
- Tsangan (7u bottom row)
- ANSI (6.25u bottom row)
- If a hotswap PCB is chosen, your kit will come with a Tsangan plate which is the ONLY compatible plate with a hotswap PCB.
- Due to physical key compatibility with the case, an ANSI plate is only an option when choosing a WK top.
- Due to physical key compatibility with the case, WKL and MX HHKB tops will come with a Tsangan or ISO plate, both of which are compatible options.
- ISO only supports a 7u bottom row, but is compatible with all three top options.
- There is no ISO or 6.25u bottom row option for the hotswap PCB. Please refer to the PCB layouts below.
Solderable PCB Supported Layouts
Hotswap PCB Supported Layouts
Optimized Plate, the Process, and FEA analysis
Using FEA (finite element analysis) we were able to measure the simulated force on each switch plate hole to see how the plate would react to this force. The maximum displacement was recorded for every switch plate hole and relief cuts were added to the plate (iteratively) to try and make the displacement equal across all switch holes. The results are measured in max displacement in mm 10^-2. See the original IRON165 IC for details on how we went through testing methods.
What's In The Box
- Iron160 Keyboard
- Aluminum Plate
- PCB, USB-C Daughterboard, and JST cable, choice of either Hotswap or Solderable
- Gaskets and all mounting hardware
- Custom screws for flush-mount look
- New custom carrying hard case w/CNC foam inserts