Iron 160 - Aluminum Base
Preorder starts Saturday April 30 @ 10AM EST!
Purchases will be subject to a 5% fee when cancelled.
- Make sure you have a valid account with Deskhero
- Login and join the email queue by clicking on the button.
- With the high amount of interest - most of the spots will be randomly chosen in a list that is 200 in length
- If you are eligible to buy you will receive an email shortly after all spots are claimed.
- You have 30 minutes to complete your purchase.
- No modifications are allowed so please be sure of your purchase before completion.
- Cancellations are permitted within 24 hours.
- Limit one per order
- Shipping will be flat rate of $15.99 within Canada. This is a heavy keyboard.
We're pleased to partner with Smith + Rune to bring you the Iron 160 keyboard!
LIMIT 1 UNIT PER HOUSEHOLD.
Due to the limited nature of pre-orders and extras, nothing is yours until checkout is complete. Items added to cart are not reserved, and may run out of stock while completing checkout.
Quality Disclaimer - Stainless Steel Parts may contain micro-scratches or micro-holes which are only viewable under certain, harsh light conditions and are often times difficult to photograph. If you choose to purchase a stainless steel weight/badge kit, you are accepting this risk.
- Choice of WK, WKL, or MX HHKB top
- 7 Degree Typing Angle
- Full Gasket Isolation Mount
- Bottom Accent Plate w/exposed rune logo
- Low-Profile Front Height (less than 17.25mm)
- Seamless Case Design
- QMK/VIA compatible PCB, designed in collaboration with Gondolindrim, choice of hotswap or solderable
- Unified C3 USB-C daughterboard (centered on case)
- Optimized plate for consistency on every key press (see analysis below)
Each board comes with a black anodized aluminum base and contrasting aluminum accent "weight". Please refer to the prototype photos and renders for a visual depiction.
There will be three plate layout options, semi-fixed. All plates support split backspace and stepped caps. ISO plates may not be available from all vendors.
- Tsangan (7u bottom row)
- ANSI (6.25u bottom row)
- If a hotswap PCB is chosen, your kit will come with a Tsangan plate which is the ONLY compatible plate with a hotswap PCB.
- Due to physical key compatibility with the case, an ANSI plate is only an option when choosing a WK top.
- Due to physical key compatibility with the case, WKL and MX HHKB tops will come with a Tsangan or ISO plate, both of which are compatible options.
- ISO only supports a 7u bottom row, but is compatible with all three top options.
- There is no ISO or 6.25u bottom row option for the hotswap PCB. Please refer to the PCB layouts below.
Solderable PCB Supported Layouts
Hotswap PCB Supported Layouts
Optimized Plate, the Process, and FEA analysis
Using FEA (finite element analysis) we were able to measure the simulated force on each switch plate hole to see how the plate would react to this force. The maximum displacement was recorded for every switch plate hole and relief cuts were added to the plate (iteratively) to try and make the displacement equal across all switch holes. The results are measured in max displacement in mm 10^-2. See the original IRON165 IC for details on how we went through testing methods.
What's In The Box
- Iron160 Keyboard
- Aluminum Plate
- PCB, USB-C Daughterboard, and JST cable, choice of either Hotswap or Solderable
- Gaskets and all mounting hardware
- Custom screws for flush-mount look
- New custom carrying hard case w/CNC foam inserts