Element III (Copper Ring)
Simplified Audio, Reimagined
We’ve reimagined our flagship amp+DAC to create a listening experience you will notice and appreciate. Element III runs on our second generation XMOS hardware and firmware, blissfully integrated with a custom encoder. You’ll hear perfect channel balance down to the black noise floor. Automatic gain helps you focus on listening rather than button pressing, and an auto vanishing display presents the essentials while you toggle between USB and Optical inputs and headphone or preamp outputs. We’ve also added DSD support and real-time selection of DAC filters and more. Element III is precision machined in the USA with the same, famously awesome knob.
Perfect Channel Balance
Element III delivers audibly perfect channel balance all the way down to -127.5 dBFS. You'll immediately hear and appreciate soundstage accuracy.
OLED Display & Options
An OLED display momentarily presents status information while you interact, then powers down to minimize distractions. The Options menu further allows you to adjust OLED and backlighting LED behaviors, DAC filters, and more.
Element III's rail-to-rail gain stage provides extra headroom and no distortion penalty when listening at high gain versus low gain. With +/-15VDC rails and continuous max power of 1.3W, Element III drives all headphones on the market to extraordinary levels, from balanced armatures to planar magnetics.
Element III provides preamp RCA outputs so that you can control volume of your powered speakers. Volume of preamp output is managed separately from the headphone output for quick toggling.
Input and Output Selection
Press the tactile volume control to listen to USB or Optical Input, or press the Mode button to toggle between headphones and powered speakers. No need to disconnect cables!
Relay Muting & Safety
Designed for desktop listening, Element III's full relay muting eliminates pops and thumps during startup through both its headphone and preamp outputs. And for extra safety, Element III's dual, independent processors continuously monitor internal communications and verify volume of the ESS DAC.
ElElement III is clocked by MEMS oscillators for excellent frequency stability, delivering pristine jitter in both USB and Optical modes.
USB Audio Class 2 - PCM & DSD
Element III supports up to 32/384kHz PCM and DSD128 through our second generation XMOS XU208 engine. While we claim no measurable superiority of high sampling rates, UAC2 with an ASIO endpoint will satisfy your pursuit of high fidelity listening.
USB AUDIO CLASS 2
Element II supports up to 32/384kHz PCM over a custom XMOS XU208 based UAC2 engine. While we claim no measurable superiority of high sampling rates, UAC2 and ASIO support satisfy your pursuit of bitperfect listening
- Frequency Response 20-20kHz+/- 0.11 dB
- SINAD, 1kHz Low Gain112.5 dB
- SINAD, 1kHz High Gain112 dB
- THD+N Sweep 20-20kHz< 0.0004%
- IMD CCIF 19/20 kHz -6 dBFS-101 dB
- IMD SMPTE @ -20dBFS-95 dB
- Signal to Noise Ratio117.7 dB
- Noise Level-112 dBV
- Dynamic Range (A-Weighted)120 dB
- Linearity Error -90 dBFS-0.01 dB
- Crosstalk @ 0 dBFS, 100k RCA-130 dB
- Jitter Components – USB @ 12kHz, DPLL 5-131 dB
- Jitter Components – S/PDIF @ 12kHz DPLL 5-130 dB
- Channel Balance, -∞ to 0 dBFS+/- 0.01 dB
- Output Impedance< 0.7 Ω
- Max Continuous Power @ 600 Ω146 mW (9.37 VRMS)
- Max Continuous Power @ 150 Ω584 mW (9.36 VRMS)
- Max Continuous Power @ 32 Ω1.3 W (6.43 VRMS)
- Enclosure Dimensions 5.8 x 5.8 x 1.6 in
- Weight 19 oz
- Interface USB Audio Class 2
- Windows 7/8/10, OS X, Linux 16, 24, 32-bit @ 44.1, 48, 88.2, 96, 176.4, 192, 384 kHz
- Analog Input RCA
- Preamp Output RCA
- Digital Input USB - Type B
- Headphone Output 6.35mm (1/4")
- Dual Gain 1.0x and 4.73x
- Volume Potentiometer Taper Alps 15A
- Element III, Amplifier+DAC
- 16VAC Power Adapter
- 3ft USB Type A to Type B Cable w/Ferrite